Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Interview.






Hello Gaozu. Thank you for this great opportunity.
It's no problem, thank you for having me.

So, how were you able to create the Tang Dynasty?
China was not in a good state. There were lots of rebellions and uprisings from the peasants because the emperor was not doing a good job, and they were suffering. It was easy to win them over, create peace, and end the Sui dynasty. I declared myself emperor, and changed the empire to the Tang Dynasty.

How did you create peace?
There were lots of rebellious peasants. I created an army, and I was able to win them over. The rebellions were put down, and we overthrew the Sui dynasty. When started my dynasty, I restored peace and fixed all of the problems. I even appointed some of the former Sui family, so that helped create peace with the people who were supporting the Sui.

What were some of the things you did to help your dynasty?
I granted a pardon to the Sui family, and appointed former Sui officials. I revised some laws, and promoted the civil service examination system. I also took away some land from the rich people and rented them to commoners. By doing this, the commoners were happier, the wealthy people had less power, and there was a greater production of food.

What religions do you believe in?
I believe in Confucianism and Daoism. When I was emperor, I had an official decree made, making Confucianism and Daoism the two main religions of Chinese culture. I also had a temple built in honor of Confucius, where people can go and worship him. I am not a Buddhist, and I do not support the religion.
 
How do you feel about your son Li Shimin, or Tang Taizong?
I'm kind of hurt and disappointed in him. He grabbed my power, and forced me to retire. It was predictable that he would, but I can't believe that he would kill his own brothers also. I am sure that he will be a great emperor though. He was the one who helped me create this dynasty, and he is very talented. He has military leadership, and is very intelligent.  

Do you think you were a good emperor?
Yes, I do think I was. I didn't rule for a long time, but during my rule I created peace, and a better empire. I made changes and created strategies that helped the people.

Well that’s all. Thank you for your time.
It was my pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment